MLBTR Live Chat With Jason Martinez: April 26, 2017
powered byJotCast
Rick Hahn
5:22
My team is playing a lot better than expected...Let's just say we stay .500 til July, should I still sell everyone I can?
Jason Martinez
5:24
Nope. Aside from Todd Frazier and Derek Holland, everyone else can be traded in the offseason. So if you're .500 or higher and within reach of a playoff spot, you can't sell. Sends the wrong message to the fanbase, regardless of how understanding they are of the "rebuild".
ty
5:26
Should the Braves be hitting Swansby 8th?
Jason Martinez
5:26
I actually think he should be getting some Triple-A experience. But if he's in the majors, yes, he should be hitting 8th. He has enough pressure on him with all the attention he got after last season. Hometown kid. Future "face of the franchise". Doesn't need any more pressure by hitting him 2nd.
Cody Asche
5:28
Why did the whitesox make me apart of the 25 man roster and why am I so bad at baseball
Jason Martinez
5:29
You put up huge numbers in Spring Training and there weren't any other candidates with MLB experience. It was worth a shot. Didn't work out. Time to move on to Nicky Delmonico, as I suggested here ... https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/04/knocking-down-the-door-delmonic...
Mike Morse
5:29
Legitimate chance to stay on the roster, or just a feel good veteran story?
Jason Martinez
5:30
Both. Morse would've made the team out of Spring Training if he didn't get hurt. Bench bat with an occasional start against LHP.
David
5:32
Early take on the 10-Day DL vs. the 15-Day DL?
Jason Martinez
5:33
My job of updating Roster Resource is slightly busier, but the biggest difference has been that teams are more willing to DL a very good player as opposed to just having them unavailable on the active roster for an injury that takes 5-7 days to heal. I imagine this trend will continue, especially for starting pitchers. They only miss one start if they go on the DL.
5:36
What kind of season do you see from Manuel Margot this season and how soon before Anderson Espinosa sees the Bigs?
Jason Martinez
5:36
I think Espinosa is about 3 years away. Sounds like a long time, but he's only 19 years old. I think Margot is the favorite for NL Rookie of the Year. Hits the ball hard to all fields. Great defense. Doesn't seem like a 22 year old kid out there.
Jake
5:37
Do you think we see Amed Rosario soon?
Jason Martinez
5:38
Nope. But I also didn't think we'd see Christian Arroyo or Cody Bellinger anytime soon. Situations change quickly.
Eric
5:38
I don't think the Braves would ever include two of Albies, Allard, Acuna and Maitan for Quintana.
Jason Martinez
5:39
I don't either. That's why they won't acquire Quintana.
Sy
5:41
How long will Bird last if he's not playing better
Jason Martinez
5:44
I'd give him another week to show signs that he's back on track. I sound like a broken record, but that 1st full big league season is soooooo difficult. That's why I always look at guys in their 2nd or 3rd full season to break out. Miguel Sano is a great example of a guy who was great in half of a season as a rookie, dealt with injuries/inconsistency in 1st full MLB season and now looks like he's ready to be a star in 2nd full season.
Brandon
5:46
Do you offer fantasy baseball advice on here?
Jason Martinez
5:46
Sure. Most of this stuff is fantasy-relevant, right?
Christian Arroyo
5:48
BTW, why am I even fantasy-relevant?
Jason Martinez
5:51
I don't think you are in 2017. But there's so much upside. You could be a guy who hits .285-.300 with 35+ double and 20 HR by the time you're in your mid-20's.
Dylan
5:52
Which Austin Hedges should we expect? First two weeks where he can't hit or last week and a half where he hits almost everything and hits 6 HR?
Jason Martinez
5:53
I'm expecting him to be streaky. Lots of bad 2-3 week stretches and lots of really good weeks in between. Result could be .220 BA and 20-25 HR. Not bad for a guy who might be considered the best defensive catcher in baseball before long.
Brandon
5:54
Ok, do I drop Greg Bird for Joey Gallo in a 10-team roto league?
Jason Martinez
5:54
Do it. Gallo's job security is strong. Beltre not close to returning.
captainpeanutbutter
5:55
Wow, 35+ 2bs and 20 hr, what do you see in Arroyo that prospect evaluators don't?
Jason Martinez
5:55
89th best prospect in baseball, according to MLB.com. They don't rank guys that high for no reason. He's only 21 and he singled against Clayton Kershaw. I think he's doing OK.
Frank
5:59
Who do you who do you see getting the call first, Josh Hader or Luke Weaver?
Jason Martinez
5:59
I think Hader will be. Weaver is behind because he's on the DL and there's no room for him unless someone gets hurt in the Cardinals' rotation. Hader's BB/K numbers are a bit ugly so far, but he's still not allowing many runs and that's impressive in the PCL. I think he's in the majors by mid-June.
Adam
6:00
Do any of the Padres trade chips fetch a top 100 prospect? Or even top 10 organizational guys?
Jason Martinez
6:01
Not a Top 100 guy, but I can see one of the relievers fetching a Top 10 org guy. Maurer and Hand are under control thru '19. There's plenty of value there.
Thanks for chatting! Same time and place next week.
Connecting...